Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Catching Up!

It's been two months since I last posted!  Why so long?  School, work, icky weather, projects--all of those kinds of things.  Since I last wrote the weather has finally turned spring-like.  We've had mostly sunny days for the last week and the temperatures have been getting into the sixties.  After a month of rain, fog and temps in the 40s, I was ready for the sunshine and so were my plants!  As soon as the sun came out the garden began to grow, and now it's not looking half bad.


The garlic.  Remember when you could barely see it poking out of the ground?  Now it's knee high!

Potatoes in the front and onions in the back.  I transplanted the onions probably a month ago and they did NOTHING until about a week ago when the sun came out.  Now I bet they've doubled in size. 

Peas.  Again, they did nothing but sit there and get munched by slugs until the sun came out.  Now they're climbing up the netting and producing nice new growth. 

I just transplanted these tomato plants over the weekend.  It's nice and warm and humid in the greenhouse--perfect for tomatoes.  I hope to see them taking over the place soon!


The deer got into my strawberries a couple of weeks ago.  I broke down in tears!  But it wasn't long before the plants began to regenerate leaves and set flowers again.  Now there are little tiny green berries developing.

The only brussles sprout seedling that wasn't demolished by mice.  That's right--the darn rodents got into the cold frame holding all of my brassicas and got almost all of them.  Fortunately, the neighbor's cat got into the greenhouse and scared the little buggers away before they could get everything!  A few lived plants lived and are now growing nicely in the garden. 

I can't wait to see this peony bloom!  The ants are just showing up, so hopefully it will be soon!

My first lettuce outside of the greenhouse and cold frames.

Baby carrots.


Considering the mice, the deer, the slugs, the snails, the rain, the fog and the cold, the garden is doing alright.  I just hope the sun sticks around for a bit! 

No comments: