Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Garden Disaster

If you ever wondered what would happen if you turned your back on your garden for two months in the summer, you don't need to anymore.  This is what will happen:

The weeds will grow up out of every possible bit of ground that isn't completely mulched.  Even if it is mulched, the weeds will bust through and grow, grow, grow.

The weeds will eventually smother everything, even the baby strawberry plants you tenderly cared for during the spring.  You won't even be able to distinguish the beds from the paths--the weeds will hide it all!   

After a summer of neglecting my garden in order to focus on our house, this is what I'm facing for my fall work.  I'm feeling so overwhelmed by it all!  Just thinking about the back-breaking work that went into creating these gardens over the last six years and the amount of back-breaking work it will take to get them back into shape for next spring makes me want to throw my hands up in the air and walk away.  But I know I can't do that.  Facing next spring, summer and fall without gardening would be even more depressing than looking at the weed-smothered garden of right now.

Here are the options I'm mulling over:
1.  Save the strawberries, let everything else go. 
2.  Save the strawberries, and plant garlic (which means wedding a section of the garden, prepping the garlic bed and planting).
3.  Save the strawberries and work bit by bit to rescue the garden, too.  That would mean finding the beds again, wedding them, prepping them with all the things that need to go into them for productivity, and then wedding and re-mulching the paths. 
4.  Do absolutely nothing with the garden until the house is done, we're moved in and I can focus on the garden again. 

I keep oscillating between all four options, but right now I'm thinking more and more about option 3.  I just don't know if I could face a spring without getting into the soil and planting!  Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Laura said...

#3. Just take it one day at a time, one small CHUNK at a time...