Saturday, October 29, 2011

Granola Bars

A few weeks ago, I looked up a recipe for homemade granola bars.  This is the one I chose.  The first time I made this, they turned out very good just as the recipe is written.

Of course when I went to make them again last night, I didn't have all of the ingredients, and since I live on an island and have no access to a grocery store without taking a boat first, I had to make some substitutions. Here's the recipe I came up with:

Ingredients
2 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of peanuts
1 cup of shredded coconut
1/2 cup of sesame seeds
3 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. of vanilla
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup of raisins
1/2 cup of dried cranberries

Directions
Toss the oats, coconut, peanuts and sesame seeds.  Spread evenly in a pan and bake @ 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until it is toasted.  Reduce oven to 300 degrees.

Mix and bring to a boil the honey, brown sugar, salt, butter and vanilla.

Pour over and mix wit the oat mixture.  Add the dried fruit.

Press mixture into a 9"x13" pan lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 20-30 minutes.  Cool at least 2-3 hours.  Cut into squares.

All I can say is DELICIOUS!  They turned out kind of crunchy and chewy at the same time.   They're perfectly sweet and a little bit salty.  And the sesame!  Oh my goodness it's a great addition to the mix.  It was all I could do to not eat the entire bag this afternoon!

This batch turned out more crunchy than chewy and so didn't cut very well.  But the flavor was amazing!  I will make this one again.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

Hi there..I LOVE your blog and stalk it quite often :)) I used to make some yummy granola bars and the recipe sounds a lot like yours...except I am trying to remember..I think it called for condensed milk to pour all over everything and mix. I would always stock up on the ingred. at Trader Joe's and just keep them. Sometimes I would substitute dried cherries for the cranberries. Yummy! Hope all is well on Isleford! Miss seeing you all!!!
xo jeannie

Sarah Vekasi said...

I heard about these granola bars from my Mom, she said they are amazing! I can't wait to try making them.

I love you!
Sarah